Tuesday, November 22, 2011

h.o.m.e.

Today I am thankful for: 

21) my parents.


It has been nearly 10 years since I graduated from high school.  I have NEVER lived close enough to my family to "drive" home and what a treat it is.  My new school also gave us the entire week off for Thanksgiving and let me tell you - I'm never going back to my old holiday schedule.  



After a week on the couch throwing up, my mom and dad treated me to a steak dinner, baked potatoes, champagne, and homemade pie.  To say that it was the best food I have eaten in a long time is definitely an understatement.  




I got in after a long morning on the road and had such a pleasant time hanging out with my mom before everyone else gets into town.  We giggled our way through the grocery store, swapped knitting patterns on the couch, and even got to Facetime with my baby godson, Everett.  (He is getting SO big and we got to see his teeth and watch him crawl - thank you, iPhone!)


When my dad got home we poured through all of the food magazines I brought with me (have I mentioned I am OBSESSED with Bon Appetit?) and got to work on a lemon chess pie (the recipe is from Billy Reid, this southern men's clothing designer who my dad loves, so of course, he had to bake with a bowtie on!).




I take after my father VERY MUCH and when we are together we often get a little bit silly.  It was sort of like a cheesy cooking show. :)   



We made ate a delicious dinner, made several toasts, watched bad TV, and talked about how excited we are for Christmas and New Year's with the whole family.  


My parents are simply incredible people.  They have created such a wonderful home for us in this new-ish city, are amazing entertainers, prove constantly to be great role models and listeners, and I can not even put into words how cool it is to be a Casanova.  


So thankful for them this holiday season, and to be living closer to them, which is a dream come true.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree, your parents are so wonderful! Have a great Thanksgiving with the family and tell them I said hi. I need to come to Dallas so I can see you ASAP!

    ReplyDelete