Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The not-so littles

My very first Thanksgiving tribute post was for my dear sister Kathleen and today I want to roll my other two favorite people into the same entry today.  

Today I am thankful for: 

23) my sister Laura

and

24) my brother Christopher

When we were kids Kathleen and I were so much taller than the two younger children in the family and my mom used to refer to us as the "BIGS" and "LITTLES."  It's a little bit silly now to think back on those nicknames as my brother (the baby of the family) has outgrown us all - and outgrew some of us way back when. :)  But I think I will always think of us as 2+2=4 - at least when I remember growing up.  There's something really special about our foursome and the sacred traditions we hold dear.  Back in Kidnation (what we called our upstairs quarters) the magic began with movie watching on pillow pallets, holiday traditions, jam sessions in the playroom, and sharing bathrooms/closets/computers/you name it.  

It is really hard to be home together without our Kikster, but I have had a lovely time with my two younger siblings today.  They got in yesterday and it has been non-stop.  There were moments full of  puns, times when we broke out into musical songs and laughed at each other's jokes.  Today Laura and I nearly survived an "emergency" trip to the store for a gallon of milk and couldn't stop laughing/crying at the sheer chaos!  

Side note: Today my mom mentioned watching one of our favorite holiday movies together (Hint: Tim Allen in the 90s) and my sister Laura and I both shouted "NO!" in unison - feeling that it was sheer sacrilege without our fourth counterpart.  Kathleen, I have to say that we are EVEN more excited about seeing your face at Christmas than the food we will enjoy tomorrow (which by the way we are pretty excited about.)  

But I just want to send out some gratitude for my Lulu and Topher.  I cannot believe how much they have grown and even though there are times where they make me feel SO OLD, I am so blessed to be a part of their lives and to have them in mine.  They enrich my world each day - be it group-texting during the week, a phone call from out of town, or a shoulder to lean on during tough days.  

What would I do without Laura's constant banter, her love of couch-time under pillows and blankets?  Who else in our family would wear their pajamas all day with me and not feel guilty for a second?
Laura gives such wise advice and shows so much patience with everyone in our home.  
She also might be the only other Casanova who talks ALMOST as fast as I do. :)


Christopher, who else can recite all of Talladega Nights without needing to stop?
How do you know so much about EVERYTHING?  
Even though you are turning into a bro, I love how you aren't too embarrassed to hug your sister.  
Who can I count on each time I come home to burn me a new CD of amazing jams? 

Thank you for siblings, big families, brothers, sisters.  
I am so thankful that we are just as close NOW as we were back in our Kidnation days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment