Sunday, November 20, 2011

friendsgiving

Tonight we gave the pilgrims and indians a run for their money with our own version of a truly bountiful feast.


My friend Josh had his buddies over for our very own "Friendsgiving." Each guest brought a dish to share and cans to donate for families in the Dallas area.  What a great idea!


The pumpkin/maple cream cheese cupcakes were awesome (thanks, Ina Garten!), I rocked the second-grade-style feather headband, and the host had to nearly kick us out the door at the end of the night.


I am so thankful for:

20) new buddies here in Dallas.

I have only been here for 4 months and I already feel so good about the quality of people I have met and been able to spend time with so far.  As the holiday party invites start to go out and the social calendars fill up, I am so excited to get back here, after Thanksgiving with my family, to make more memories.


Being single has been pretty easy here.  My roommate and her boyfriend have been such a blessing introducing me to their circle.  What a compliment to hear them tell me at dinner last night, "Ana, we don't worry about your social life at all.  You are so outgoing and get along great with everyone.  We love to introduce you to our friends and see you do your thing."

I am also quite proud of how well I have done at setting out on my own.  I have joined volunteer groups, social organizations, made plans with new people I meet at certain events, reached out to some old contacts from high school, and feel like there are even already a few people's numbers in my cell phone that I can call when I have a long day or need someone to listen.  Disclaimer: I think there's something about the friendly Texan atmosphere that makes it less intimidating to stick out your right hand and spit out your first name with a smile.  

Cheers to potluck dinners, movie nights, ranch weekends, happy hours, bible study burger nights, and football Saturdays!  And thanks to the fabulous Waggoner house men for a delightful Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment