Friday, July 15, 2011

moonlight + musicals

Tonight was a Casanova family summer tradition.  We went to the park to see a musical under the stars.  There's something that takes me back to Zilker Park in Austin.  Nothing quite like sweating, snacking, singing and clapping along to your favorite shows in lawn chairs, on blankets, and in the middle of the summer.

My Papi and I have the same feet, no? 

The show we saw tonight was High School Musical and tapped our toes to the cheer routines, salsa numbers, and great stuck-in-your-head-all-week catchy tunes.



I am realizing that I really miss singing and think it's something I need to pursue in my new location.  I might need to join a choir, but, I mean, I'm a teacher - I have summers off - why not audition for my own musicals or summer shows next year?

The Casanova clan is deeply rooted in music.  For as long as I can remember, we have ALWAYS had impromptu sing-alongs, played "radio" in the car (where mom names a genre and we shout along to a song in unison from the back seats), gone to choir concerts, harmonized to Christmas carols, held guitar jam sessions on the screen porch and near the piano bench (yeah, Beyonce!) and been lovers of music.



With that, of course, comes growing up in a house full of music and musicals.  I am pretty sure my first movie was Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, and can recite every word to "The Prince is Having a Ball!"


(I just looked at YouTube and there are no videos of this epic song...sad!)

I also have always loved Sound of Music, Mary Poppins (no lie, my inner nanny has always looked up to this chick), and the Casanova children definitely used to act out Fiddler on the Roof  (remember my post about "sunrise, sunset?"), babushkas and all.  Kif used to sing "If I Were A Rich Man" in the bathtub - haha!

I feel like it was yesterday that my Papi was taking us to see West Side Story and swimming in Barton Springs in July.

"I want to be in A-me-RI-caaaa!" 

Truth be told - I would have killed for a Sno Beach sno-cone, but Italian Ice was pretty tasty too!


I mean, who doesn't love a good musical?  I am not gonna lie, I often get teary eyed at the end and fall in love with the characters --- no matter HOW good they are.

As a kid my parents would take me to the high school productions in our school district and I ogled and drooled over the "big kids" who put on Bye Bye, Byrdie! and Lil' Abner.  I have SUCH fond memories of being back stage with my buddies at WHS performing in The Music Man, Oklahoma!, and Guys and Dolls.


(Again, in the same vein as my post about baby Everett's mom, Vanessa, I do wish I had some digital copies of incriminating cast pictures with my fellow Madrigals.)


How fun is it to be in a costume?  To scream at the top of your lungs to a song? and I do love me some dancing/choreography.  Remember those Room 211 dance parties I used to have with my class each week?



So,....What are your favorite musicals?

I decided to start seeing more shows and participate in live performances MYSELF...and I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment