Wednesday, July 6, 2011

the kindness of strangers (or neighbors)

For the past couple of weeks I have had this painful bump on my forehead.  I am not sure if it was originally a zit or a bug bite, but it won't go away and is pretty bruised.  To spare my readers the graphic details (because if you are anything like me, just the thought of something nasty makes you weak in the knees) I have been sort of worried about it and had a red flag up.  My mom (the miracle worker) put gobs of tea-tree oil on it, we have tried scar medicine, you name it!
Before dinner tonight, I went to our neighbor's house who is a doctor and she told me it was possibly cancerous.  

As you can imagine, the chaos ensued:
   


I called my insurance to find out how to get it operated on before my new job starts and my insurance changes - even though I am "out of network" and not yet living in my permanent residence.  CRAZY! 
I attempted to make an appointment for a skin biopsy at 7:00 in the evening.  Impossible.  
My mom and dad started freaking out and made me freak out that I had skin cancer.  All of dinner I was slightly on the verge of tears and just praying that it would be a simple fix. 

INSERT SUPER HERO:
My dad's friend who is a dermatologist came over after dinner (at 10:00 in his pajamas!!! What a treat to have a house call!) and said it was something called a "blood mole" - which is genetic and possibly even trauma caused (i.e. i bumped my head during the move out of my apartment somewhere - because I am clumsy!- and didn't remember and it won't go away on it's own.)  He asked me if I would come to his office to take care of it.  I thought he was talking about making an appointment or possibly tomorrow morning - but he meant RIGHT AWAY.  "Less than 10 minutes there and back.  Done."
  
How awesome! THEN he drove me to his office (I made my little sister come with me to hold my hand! She is braver than I am, obviously, and actually watched the whole time) and he numbed it (several painful shots) and cauterized it (that's where you BURN someone's skin) until it all bled out.  He burned the end of my blood vessel where it was all coming from.  (Sorry for the details!!!) 

Now I have a scab on my forehead and a WICKED headache. BUT I am singing praises that it was a simple fix and it hopefully wont come back.  

He did all of that out of the kindness of his heart!  I am baking him brownies tomorrow morning.

Thank you, Dr. Lehman :) 

But what a nice person!  He was probably enjoying a calm night at home with his family after a long day at work.  He and his wife probably had 10000 other things he'd rather be doing.  But he decided to take time from his busy life and help someone he has never even met!  It makes me want to return the favor or "pay it forward" for someone soon.  I am going to sleep so much easier tonight than before just knowing that someone is available to help me, to know that there are good people out there in the world, and to know that each day is such a gift, and others aren't so lucky.  

WHAT A DAY.










No comments:

Post a Comment