Sunday, June 19, 2011

my daddy.

I feel like it has been a month since I last wrote - and I definitely need to blog about my last few days in the SAV and how the road trip is going en route to "The Promised Land."  But today, my thoughts and love goes out to my Papi - on Father's Day!

Atticus and Scout - my favorite father-daughter pair from one of my father's most beloved books, To Kill a Mockingbird

Dear Papi,
Thank you so much for being an incredible father, friend, role model and coach.  I am so proud that every where I go and every time I meet new people, everyone is constantly saying, "You are JUST like your dad!"  We look the same, we talk the same, and I can only hope to inherit not only your dominate brunette genes, but also your incredible drive and work ethic, your love and gifts with food and in the kitchen, and every chance I get, I am trying to soak up your humor and good spirits.  From daddy-daughter dates in Brownies and ballet all the way to my graduations and last birthday, you have offered encouragement, love, patience, and support.  I love your relationship with Mami, your open-mindedness with my siblings, your excitement for anything going on in my life, and all of the work you have put into making our family such a special one.  I will never watch an infomercial without thinking about you, never slow dance at a wedding without remembering what you taught me about fancy footwork, and when I laugh good and hard I remember all of the times we have laughed until we cried.  I know that Abuelo is proud of the dad you have become!


I love you and can't wait to celebrate Father's Day with you all summer long!
XOXO
Scout

I have always been a daddy's girl and am so blessed to have a great father, two grandfathers, uncle, and so many other family friends I look to as "dads" also.  I am so lucky to have great men in my life - which perhaps is why it's so hard sometimes to find a guy to date who can meet the standards!

My Abuelo passed away five years ago and every single one of the Casanovas remembers him each time we go to the grocery store, whenever someone is smoking a cigar on a back porch, and I can't help but smile each time the students in my class play "Dominoes" during math - this was one of Abuelo's favorite pastimes.  Abuelo was a "gentle giant," he had a big heart, made everyone smile, kept everyone happy, and was loved by his grandchildren.  He would let us put bows in his hair, climb all over his long legs, and impersonate his accent (an-gel) without blinking an eye.  He wrote the best letters, called often, and let every single person know when he was thinking of them - the king of "just because" gifts and correspondence.  I know that he certainly made my mom feel right at home amongst the "Cuban crew" early on in my parent's relationship, and his presence is certainly missed.  I cherish every photo I come across of him - and I see a lot of his great qualities in Christopher - my brother - who carries on his name and legacy. :)

Abuelo (center) with all of his family, our trip to Spain 2006

My Paw Paw is also one of the most generous human beings I know - and is also a force to be reckoned with.  He loves to feed, sometimes force-feeding, his family members, and is the ultimate host.  He and my Mimi travel far and wide for their grandchildren's graduations, send notes and cards every chance they have, and I will never forget our trips to Toys R'Us with Kiki and my grandparents when we were itty bitty girls growing up in Austin.  There are a few hilarious tales of Mimi and Paw Paw taking care of us when my parents would travel and they would come stay with us - and I can't wait to hear his fractured versions of fairy tales when he puts us to bed.  Paw Paw would do just about anything for his "Lucky 7" grandchildren.  Paw Paw's homes in Louisiana (from Crowley to the Farm to Lafayette) are always a relaxing, fun, exciting place to visit.  Paw Paw loves to nap, loves to fish (he taught me everything I know!) and loves to laugh.



And of course, I have to wish all of my other favorite dads (and dads-to-be) a very happy Sunday today. I cannot help but think about Uncle Brother, Anthony Seach, Brad Sampey, Walter Bowden, Glenn Wallace, Billy Tullis, and Harrison Key on a day like today.  Your children (and honorary children, like me!) love you so much!

I am gonna wrap this up with my favorite "daddy" poem that my mom and I gave my father one year when I was really small.  It's a poem about a daughter and her doctor-daddy and it's pretty perfect!


My DaddyWhen my daddy signs his name, he always writes M.D.  so everyone will know that he belongs to me.

For M.D. means "my daddy" or something just the same.  And this is why he always puts these letters with his name.  
Some letters in his name are small, but these are not you see.  He always makes them big like that because he’s proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment