Friday, June 10, 2011

i heart food

It is hard to believe that in a few short days I will be in the car headed back home!  The packing is very intense right now - trying to clean out things, packing outfits for weddings, rehearsal dinners and trips I have planned for this summer...I would be lying if I said I had not been on the verge of tears a few times.

Luckily, I have a few sweet, dear friends who have been stopping by to visit/help wrap things in newspaper, and who are keeping me busy and helping me make sure that I fit in some fun each day.  

Two of my girlfriends from HDS "kidnapped me" and took me to the beach today for a few hours of sunshine between box-taping time and on our way back we stopped at the infamous produce stand on the highway headed to Tybee.  I realized I have not blogged about food yet!

One thing I have loved about the south and Savannah in particular is the fresh and delicious food that is available at several different farmer's markets, the grocery stores and even on the side of the highway.  I will never think about boiled peanuts, peaches, or honey the same way again after living in Georgia.











Then, after seeing all of the delicious food, my stomach was definitely growling tonight when I got home.  I rinsed the sand off, taped up a few boxes, and got into the kitchen and rolled up my sleeves.  I realized (much to my frustration) that I had already packed a few of the items I needed - but I did still have a can-opener and the wine key.  :)
I defrosted a few shrimp and put some pasta on to boil.  I made quite a nice dinner, all things considered!
  1. melt butter in a pan
  2. add raw shrimp
  3. before they start to turn pink, add garlic
  4. toss in canned peas and add red pepper flakes, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper
  5. when the shrimp turn pink, toss with pasta and artichoke hearts
GO ME!  I felt super proud and got to use up some of my groceries.  "Operation: Clean out pantry and freezer" is underway.

 I found a bottle of white wine and enjoyed it in my personalized Tervis Tumbler. 


What a nice dinner for one!  I am starting to get the hang of this.  I sure hope my roommate next year likes to cook. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment