Friday, June 3, 2011

h.a.g.s.

Today was pretty damn perfect.

I had an incredible morning with my class.  I showed up at school and found a bouquet of flowers tucked between the handle and the door and it was nothing but smiles after that.  We did all of our favorites - playing board games, singing all of our class songs for the last time at the top of our lungs, and I got card after home-made card from each of the girls in my group all morning long - I honestly think they used all of the construction paper and crayons in the whole art cabinet.  :)

We hugged each other as hard as we could, some of us got teary eyed, I told them I'd be back before they knew it for a fall visit, and I tried as hard as I could to make sure they really understood how much they were loved, how special they are, and how great I know they will be as fourth graders.

I told my students about the old cowboy song, "Happy Trails to You,"by Roy Rogers.  The words at the end are "Until we meet again."   We decided that instead of "goodbye" today, it would be "see you later," and "Until we meet again, my friends!"



It was pretty surreal, to be honest.  Parents got out of their cars to give me hugs and tell me that "this school in Dallas better know what a gem they are getting!"  The faculty and staff had a nice luncheon together and I got some great gifts from my teammates and my students today that I will keep, wear, and use forever and think of them every time I pull them out.

It is officially summer and I am so ready.  I am feeling anxious, as I often do when the routine falls out the bottom, and I will have to remind myself to relax and that everything is going to get done before the moving van pulls up here in a bit.  I remember even as a kid those first few days of summer always having to remind myself that "it's a break, you crazy girl" and that downtime is OK.  It's like any transition - and I'm not so great at them, myself.  I seek comfort, I seek knowing what is ahead, and I am starting to prepare myself to be in a state of "un-routine" until mid-August.  Here goes nothing.

It's all about baby steps, right?  This afternoon I took my own advice and changed straight into my swim suit and spent some QT at the pool with my third grade cohort, Ashley.  This picture is a tribute to the summer days ahead - between the packing projects taking place in my classroom/apartment.

We actually made a toast and "clinked" our styrofoam cups together in the middle of the gas station while we were waiting to pay.  Best happy hour I've ever been to...

Here's to lazy days.  Beating the heat and mosquitos by just floating all day, shades and sunscreen within reach. Ice-cold, frothy Coca-Cola Slurpees.  Listening to beach music on shuffle.  Turning your alarm clock off.  Using the grill instead of the stove.  Tanlines and naps in the sun.

I am already
H-aving
A
G-reat
S-ummer.

As my third graders tell me - H.A.G.S., everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment