Still being new in town, it is sometimes hard to get motivated to reach outside of the "shell" I comfortably reside in. It is SO much easier to come home from work, exercise, relax or read and call it a night.
For the past few weeks I have been so exhausted from work and my allergies have been at an all-time low, so I have been in somewhat of a "survival mode" getting back into work and school.
However, tonight, even though it was raining cats and dogs, I dragged my tired self to happy hour with a few other women who transferred into the Junior League here a few months ago. They have hosted several book clubs, holiday parties, wine nights, etc. each month. Have I gone to any? Well....more often than not, I have a conflict with tutoring, bible study, or I have made previous plans with my sofa. :)
I am SO glad I went. I didn't think twice about it (like I usually do) and God was telling me all day that I needed to be there. So I made it a priority. I planned my outfit accordingly, didn't make up any excuses after work to rush home, and even braved the rain...sans umbrella!
True, walking into a room not knowing anybody is daunting.
Making small talk over and over gets old.
Telling another person how I am from Texas but have moved back here after 8 years elsewhere is boring.
But meeting new people, drinking a well-deserved glass of wine after getting through a stack of worksheets, and swapping numbers with the gal next to you (who also loves red wine and who was TOTALLY down to split an appetizer!) is so worth it.
Not only did I make a buddy, but I got online after I got home and signed up to head a whole new committee in the Junior League I heard about tonight. She and I are going to work together on special events and fundraisers for the upcoming year. I found out about a few other girls who are new to town who are also seeking social, fun, volunteer opportunities and it turns out that this committee is the best way to find new faces, give your time, and have fun at the same time.
The best part is that I didn't know how badly I needed tonight until I was there. Sometimes, well actually....all times, God puts you in the right place at the right time.
And as I get under the covers to listen to the rain as I fall asleep...I have a huge grin on my face.
so proud of you! way to take on the new city.
ReplyDelete