Thursday, August 18, 2011

ahhhhhh-stin.

or as some would spell it - AUSTIN. as in TEXAS.

What a wonderful weekend I was able to share with so many people on my "journey back home" last weekend. It was my last slice of summer vacation, an amazing reminder of the wonderful place where I was lucky enough to grow up, and a mix of so many strong emotions rolled into one!

I started off taking care of my godmotherly duties with Baby Everett and his sweet mama, Vanessa. I know I blogged about this sweet baby before, but get ready for some seriously cute pictures on a regular basis because I just canNOT get enough of this little guy. I saw him about 6 weeks ago, but he has already changed and grown so much!

and so begins the Everett montage....


in the kitchen with dad

we introduced the baby to butter and sugar this weekend - sorry mom!

favorite place: bathtub. He's definitely gonna be a swimmer! :)

newest trick - sitting up

so handsome in his homemade smocked outfit

toes!

sunbathing.

I have decided that I want to do 'bathtime' everyday with this little booger!


But seriously, what a special time to spend with this sweet, new family.

Never in a MILLION years did I picture myself holding Vanessa's SON on his baptism day when we were back in 5th grade playing "MASH", learning about boys, and using Instant Messenger in 1996. WOW! Vanessa and Anthony are already turning out to be wonderful parents and have created such a warm and happy home for themselves and their family. Vanessa threw a beautiful brunch for everyone after the service and I was so impressed by her cooking, hostess, flower-arranging, and preparing self. She is great at being an adult. :) Not only that, but it was fun to have some downtime with both of them (we definitely enjoyed ourselves some Maudie's mexican food and a little mini-happy hour with Anthony's home-brewed beers). I had not seen Vanessa's parents since her wedding and it was great to catch up with "Mimi" and "Jasper" as well. We went over to their house and swam in the pool and it was so great to see these two honorary parents again. I spent about 50% of my middle and high school years in their backyard - and what flashbacks we were all having!



The baptism itself was INCREDIBLE. Held in the same church (by the same man) as the Lee-Seach wedding 4 years ago, the small gathering of loved one was "small and perfect" (as Vanessa put it) just like Baby E! We got to stand around the font all together and got to bless him individually - sharing hugs, kisses, and pats along the way. Nick (the godfather and Anthony's younger brother) and I were so proud to be playing a huge part already in this little guy's life. I cannot wait to watch him grow up and to see him regularly now that I am back in Texas. (I already have his first birthday party penciled into my calendar! yay!).

After lots of love, hugging and kissing on my favorite mini-man, I headed across town to see my other favorite "baby boy" who is actually all grown up. My little brother Christopher headed off to college in Austin at UT this weekend and he and my parents were in Austin to move him in and get him settled - and of course to socialize with all of our old family friends.

What a special event (again! are you seeing the pattern? i am one lucky gal) I got to watch. I was a bit overwhelmed with emotions when I saw my parents and Kif at dinner the second night I was in town -
~how amazing is it to see your parents twice in one month's time?
~how did this little guy who used to drive me crazy in the playroom turning into such an adult?
~how has our family been so blessed through every transition we have had?
~how much have we grown and changed since we moved to Lubbock?
~how special is it to be so close to your siblings?
~how awesome to have moved "back home"?


babyface!

Needless to say, I had a bit of a teary-eyed meal with the family that night. My parents and I sat around and remembered all of the cute things he used to say ("SCHWEEET!") and all of the silly things the four kiddos used to do upstairs in our little world after school and on the weekends. I remember feeling unsure about having a boy land in the middle of girly-barbiedoll-land. But boy, have we all come so far! I cannot believe he will be going to frat parties, he won't be at home to answer the phone every time I call and my parents are out working in the yard, and that it is actually 2011 - the year we have talked about since he came home from the hospital!


We had all of our favorites that night -- Mexican martinis, choriqueso, the salsa we have been trying to recreate at home for years, and my favorite....the flautas plate.

After some rest, shopping OF COURSE at the outlet mall as Casanovas tend to do, a beautiful brunch at the you-have-to-try-this place, (did I mention we went to see Glee3D after dinner? No, I am not embarrassed to admit it), and lots of group hugs..... I made one last stop on my way back to D.



Did I mention that one of my swim-team buddies owns this place?







Don't forget to get your kiwi-strawberry with cream. :)

On my drive back all I could think is....I am so proud of Everett and Christopher and hope they know I am their #1 fan.



And now it's back to school time!
I have spent an amazing week with these ladies and am so looking forward to a great year.



No comments:

Post a Comment