Sunday, May 22, 2011

virginia is for lovers.

It's hard to believe that four years ago, the class of 2007 walked across the Lawn at the University of Virginia in our caps and gowns, donning balloons, sunglasses and huge grins.  While everyone else had panic attacks, interviewed for jobs, and put their boxes in the back of the car, I stayed behind for an extra year of student teaching and coursework so that I could complete my Masters and get certified to teach.  I remember what a horrifying feeling it was to go through this transition in a gray blur - not quite out of college, not quite in the real world yet, friends leaving left and right while I stood on the sidewalk and waved as they drove away.

While I knew it was a blessing to have another year in C'ville, to have time to transition out of student and into grownup, I remember feeling really devastated that June.  Little did I know I was about to see a whole other side of Charlottesville and that I would have a second go-round with making a new group of pals that I would consider not only confidants and side kicks, but my teaching peers and best friends.

As Gray put it best, "I never thought I'd say this, but thank god for Tiny House."  Without 1414 Gordon Avenue, my life as both an undergraduate and graduate student in Charlottesville would have been drastically different.

Ok, have you ever seen the Geico commercial where the couple has outgrown their newlywed digs and they live in this world that resembles something from Alice in Wonderland where they hit their heads on the ceiling?



Yes, that is the place where I spent two years of my college career.  It was more importantly, the place where the magic happened:

After I lived in it with these ladies -

I moved in with some "new" friends.  Girls I had classes with, girls I had hoped to get close to, and girls who would also be getting up to go and teach at 5:45 a.m. with.  That's right - it was a house full of teachers.  And yes, we took pictures on the first day of school in our outfits.

The first day of school.  TRUE teachers call this the "FDO" or "First Day Outfit."

While the house was definitely TOO SMALL, our friendship and bond was a HUGE part of my first year in a classroom.  Being surrounded each morning and evening by the camaraderie of these ladies, their positive encouragement, and having their shoulder to lean on made my first experience as Ms. C so incredible.  We found a great balance between going to bed at 8:45 some weeks and treating ourselves to a long, drawn out happy hours during others.  We planned lessons together, unsuccessfully tried dieting together, cut out tons of shapes and letters while watching Project Runway each week on tv, cooked huge meals together (hence why our diets failed!), and kept each other sane.




I loved spending Saturday mornings (sleeping in until 8:00 because our bodies were so used to the early mornings!) running to Bodos and getting back under the covers to snuggle, look at engagement rings on our laptops, gush about our boyfriends, and also wondering about where our job searches would take us at the end of our practicums.

We celebrated our last night as student teachers at The Melting Pot, went to Foxfields in style, prayed for Tyler to get her dream job in India, and have kept in touch across the globe via Skype, and through busy stressful times it feels so good to get an email from a fellow teacher who is also about to pull their hair out in the days before Winter Break. :)  Moving to Savannah really showed me who my life long friends would be - who would make an effort to keep in touch, who was going to be there for me through break ups and difficult low points, and these two girls still call me each week to see how I am holding up.

I was on the couch with Gray the first time Barrett took Tyler on their blind date, and loved spending time with Wiley and Gray at every football tailgate.  I will never forget the months Tyler was abroad when Gray and I anxiously waited for her to come back so that Mr. B could pop the question, and a few months later Wiley cornered Tyler and me Homecoming weekend on our way to winetaste to let us know he had a ring for Gray as well.

Tyler got married last summer to the handsome Mr. Barrett and this summer it's Gray's turn to tie the knot with Wiley.  I love both of these men and think the world of these couples.  I hope to find my Mr. Right and can't wait to ask both of these women to be my bridesmaids one day!

 Tyler's rehearsal in Richmond last June. 

I got back tonight from Gray's Bachelorette weekend.  This trip was a blast as we celebrated Gray's last few nights out on the town as a single lady in Virginia Beach.  It was so nice to get away from Savannah and the stress of this move and to have some chill beach time.  In true Gray fashion, we spent lots of time snuggling in our jammies, and lounging around on the sand.  It could not have been more perfect.

We sipped champagne and ate cupcakes while Gray opened her lingerie shower gifts,

we enjoyed beers on the back deck at an oyster bar while the sun set over the bay,
we sat on our matching Target beach towels and sang along to girly pop songs that came on our iPods and talked about our families and jobs - our conversations resembling those Bodo's mornings from Tiny House,
and we giggled ourselves silly about everything under the sun.

There are so many things I am constantly reminded of whenever I am in Virginia.  The sandwich I ordered twice from Taste was a total house dressing moment akin to the Take It Away I filled myself with each week on the Corner,
and the moment I pulled up to the hotel in my lovely rental car ride from Budget,
what song was playing on the radio? Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkel.  Of course.  The swoony anthem of choice for the handsome Virginia Gentlemen who used to serenade us on Wednesday nights at Dorm Sings.  (Raise your hand if you still remember the hand claps.)

But nothing can top the sheer lovwee time I got with my Tylah and Graybay.  It's like we still live in those gross upstairs bedrooms.  As if we still use the bathroom I locked myself in after I got into fights with my college boyfriend, still sit on that couch where Tyler would bring me snacks and we would order pizza late-night.  I can still picture the three of us climbing in Gray's bed and falling asleep with the TV on, talking until the wee hours of the morning during our spring semester.  Nothing tops trekking it to the Curry building to listen to another lecture with bagels and coffee in hand.

The weekend was definitely not long enough - Tyler and I held hands last night when it was time for bed, and hugging Gray today made me so sad we don't live closer.  However, I never worry about the next time I see them, because I know these are girls I will be in touch with for the rest of my life.

Congrats, Gray.  I lovwee you. 

1 comment: