Sunday, May 1, 2011

howdy.

How do I even start this? I guess I am starting a blog. A real blog - not some blog for a graduate school course, or a collection of recipes and photos for a specific means, but a place where I can post my thoughts, feelings, photos, favorite things, and share stories about my adventures.

It's a new month, I am moving to a new place in about six weeks, I am interviewing for a new job, and I am looking for something to do with the "old" as I send it out and refill this space with "the new." I need a place and a way to say goodbye to everyone and everything that is here and learn how to remain open and reflective as I reach my new location and start a new part of my life this year.

It has been quite a trip to get here. I am still in shock that I got to Savannah about 3 years ago and even though I've been ready to scoot for a while now, I am still in shock that it's happening. It's one of those things where as soon as I decided I was outta here, I started to really fall in love with this city and my amazing support system all over again. I have a great job, I have made great friends, I am a totally different version of myself than I was in 2008 when I showed up. Crazy!

As you prepare to move (meaning the physical aspect of packing up all of your junk into boxes and then hauling it across the street/country/world) you can't help but think of the millions of things you need to do - change your address, order new checks, re-register your vehicle, tie up all lose ends....

BUT what I am dealing with in this new transition is the emotional "moving on" that I am preparing to undergo. Yes, I need to get some boxes and tape, but I know that in the end that will all work itself out - and my mother is a MASTER PACKER. I keep thinking about everyone I need to say goodbye to, all of the things I still have not done, and about everything that I have learned here. I am realizing that while there are tons of things and people I WON'T miss, there are more that I will. While there is so much excitement that lays ahead of me, you have to let go of the familiar, of the comfort level, and of the old to get something new. As my parents often tell me "You can't be in the mass and the procession." I know I can't have both. I wish I could just uproot everything I love here and take it with me, but I can't.

I was reading a book today at the beach (See? Book club and beach time - two things I will DEFINITELY miss!) and found this fabulous quote --

"But I have learned that you make your own happiness, that part of going for what you want means losing something else." - Emily Giffin, Something Borrowed


I could not have put it better myself.

And so here goes nothing. Six weeks down, and lots of "bucket list" to-do's and farewell celebrations to take place. I will blog all along the way - and hope to continue to do so as I start another year of teaching in another new classroom (3 for 3, people) and forge through my newly-acquired singlehood in a brand-new, big city as I attempt to go on dates. HA! Not sure whether to laugh or cry sometimes, and that's half the fun. :)

So, (at the sake of being cheesy and super-themed...I am a third grade teacher) in honor of the tumbleweed and the great state of Texas that awaits me, here's to a tangled girl in her twenties and all of the incredible bumps she hits along the dusty road as she rolls her way through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment