Tuesday, May 3, 2011

2, 4, 6, 8....

WHO do we appreciate?

For those of you who don't know, this week is Teacher Appreciation Week. I have walked into my room to find a bag of goodies on my desk, pulled brownies out of my mailbox yesterday and Friday at school the parents are providing us lunch.

On my blog, I wanted to honor all of my favorite women and men out there who have shaped me to become the "lifetime learner" (a la Thomas Jefferson) that I am today!

There are a few teachers out there that I STILL keep in great touch with and even more that I think of often and am so blessed to have had in my life - both in and outside of the classroom:

-My tia, Ileana, who taught me how to teach like a Casanova :)
-Mr. Snouffer - high school choir director, the most amazing man!
-Laurie - fifth grade teacher and mentor - she was so strict but everyone loved her!
-The Misages - taught me that being a science dork is really where it's at
-Coach Jones, his wife and all of his kiddos - my first really "nanny" family and the family who really helped shape me in high school
-Gail and Rodney, Suzanne and Jeff - there are no words!
-Mrs. Lyons - my third grade teaching guru...I find I often ask myself 'What would she do right now?'
-Mrs. Rhodenizer - master kindergarten teacher I worked under as a student teacher
-Bob Tai the Science Guy - graduate school professor who modeled intellectual curiosity daily

And to all of my favorite teachers out there who are working right alongside me (even across the country) as "new" or "young" teachers -- Tyler, Gray, KVH, Giddens, Nessa, Scanzera, KT, Bowden, Kari and Becca. :) I am so proud of US!

And let's not forget the people at schools who make it all happen - the receptionists, the custodians, the maintenance team, the technology coordinator, the assistants, the volunteers, and the parents who make our jobs possible. :)

This is a great teaching quote from the Austin American Statesman a few weeks back:

Because teachers are often therapists, friends, mentors, coaches, sometimes providers of food and school supplies or holders of secrets. And in that way, they are some of the most important people in children's lives.


I had some pictures I wanted to share of some of my favorite moments from this school year with my fellow teachers but this blog won't let me upload yet? Hmmm...technical difficulty to be worked out soon. :)

So, cheers to teachers everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment