She (and my Papi) have made such an incredible family for my siblings and me. We have so many traditions, so many memories, and are all so supportive of each other. I hope she knows how much her kiddos are thinking about her from near and far!
Even though I live far away from home (not for long!) and wasn't able to celebrate in person with her - I will see her in a few weeks time - there is a laundry list of things that remind me of her AND that once I'm home, I can't wait to do with her!
- playing scrabble, or our new obsession, Bananagrams
- sipping coffee outside (it's always better when she makes it for me!)
- dance parties anywhere and everywhere
- looking for antique furniture and knick-knacks
- driving around in the car listening to music, making mixed CDs, swapping songs
- spiders and butterflies - she is a bug lover and always catches and releases instead of squishing!
- hymns at church (I love when her favorites are on the agenda!)
- reading a great book
- laughing so hard I am crying - my mom and her Mimi often "get to giggling" and it's quite contagious!
- cooking - or really watching her cook and stealing bites or dipping my finger into everything while she's not watching
- hanging out in my jammies - she is a LOVER of pajama pants and has always gotten the 4 kiddos matching pairs at Christmas that we aren't allowed to take off all of Christmas day!
My sisters and I with Mami on Christmas morning 2008. Note the candy cane pj pants and tshirts.
My abuela is an incredible woman who came from Cuba with her children and husband to make a better life for all of us. My father is so lucky to have an awesome mother like her. She speaks beautiful spanish, cooks some mean fried plantains, and we are so proud of the new chapter in her life she has been living in Miami. I always love shopping with my Abuela, playing Rumikub, and talking about the latest chick-flicks and outfits that the Spanish royalty are wearing. She is so sweet.
My abuela and tia came to visit last summer. I was so proud to show them my classroom!
My mimi is my mom's mom. She is a hoot and a half. She packs so much good, buttery food into all of us each time we visit and loves to play hostess. I love all of her cajun cooking, playing boo-ray at her house, and she gives the best hugs. Mimi loves to laugh, to joke with everyone she meets, and her smile lights up the room!
I can't even decide what my favorite food that she makes is. It's all that good.
Rooting for Brazil in the World Cup!
So I leave you all with a quote. A quote I think my quote-loving mother would use. It's about nature and moms, so it's pretty perfect!
Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn,
Hundreds of bees in the purple clover,
Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn,
But only one mother the wide world over.
~George Cooper


Ana,
ReplyDeleteI am so flattered by your writings today. You and your siblings have been a joy to watch! I swear after I gave birth, all I did was "get out of the way". You are an awesome daughter and I appreciate all of your kind words...
love you so much sweetie... only a few weeks till your home for some fun!