Monday, September 10, 2012

SCRATCH

I was going to wait and write a longer post later in the week but I can hardly wind down for bedtime with all of the excitement swimming around in my head.  I had one of the best afternoons.  

This fall, I have decided to add an extra hour to my Mondays.  You are probably thinking, A longer-than-usual Monday?  Are you crazy?  It turns out I just might be.  

   

I have taken on leading an after-school computer programming course/club at my school.  SCRATCH is an incredible software that MIT has created specifically for young people.  It is geared towards creating digital media.  This semester I will spend an hour a week with twelve curious techies-in-training and together we will become familiar with the interface and use it to communicate with our laptops.  The end result is going to look something like a cross between a cartoon, video game, and interactive artwork.  Guess what?  I have no idea what is going to happen over the next 10 weeks, and (shhh! don't tell!) it kind of excites me. :)

There are users of SCRATCH all over the world and I have been overwhelmed with the budding community of learners and teachers that I have encountered as I try to tutor myself through the process in preparation for my course.  I have spent several Saturdays watching webinars in my pajamas, sending emails to anybody who is remotely tied to this resource, and following threads and discussion boards like a total nerd.  Yes, this reading/writing teacher has been reviewing the coordinate plane, if statements, and algebra. 
 
Our school is so excited to be a part of this collaborative environment and to be on the forefront of this huge trend.  And I feel so honored to have the chance to somewhat lead the way.  I don't love to take risks normally, but these are the kind of adventures I can't stand to miss out on.  
   
I digress. My point is not to talk about how cool all of these resources are, or how much I am going to teach these little people, but to talk about how cool my SCRATCHers were today.  They have already taught each other so much.  And walking into today's experience has taught me more about myself than most of my lesson plans put together. 
 
The best part about SCRATCH is that there are no mistakes, there is always more than one way to find the answer, and often two heads are better than one.  (Ok that's really the best THREE parts.)  The best part about my school is that we are constantly preaching all of those ideals.  And the best part about our young students is that they are already fearless. 


I remember our second grade SCRABBLE tournament last spring where my kiddos literally schooled me during a moment of inventive play.  With my jaw-dropped in a very similar fashion today, I watched in awe as these boys and girls (YAY! I had four girls sign up!) asked incredible questions, uncovered shortcuts left and right, and demonstrated bravery and curiosity in it's utmost form.  

I want to SCRATCH in real life.  I want to dive headfirst into a situation and have no idea what's going to come out, but be excited all the same knowing this is gunna be gooooood. I want to be known as that person who is constantly saying I'd love to try that even if she is really thinking, I feel totally anxious about this whole thing.  I want to make something from nothing.  I want to start with a blank stage (or what sometimes feels like a blank stage on really hard days) and make something all my own.  I want to remember that it's OK to tap your neighbor on the shoulder and ask, What's the best way to....? 

Needless to say, this is going to be an awesome ride.  It is good to feel absolutely challenged, to take on a task that is so fresh, to step outside of your comfort zone, to take a risk, to learn a new skill.  And I could not pick a better group of people to do it alongside.

As my mama said to me years ago when I was swim coaching, had declared a research-lab based major to study, and was in clear denial that I was obviously cut out to be in the classroom...

When one teaches, two learn - Robert Half     


If you or your school are at all curious, you can learn more about SCRATCH here:
http://scratch.mit.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment