Sunday, February 5, 2012

needle in a haystack.

 

As one of my resolutions I decided this year to go on more "Dallas adventures."  Once a month I am going to try my darndest to take advantage of being back in Texas, having a big city at my fingertips, and live life to it's fullest right underneath my nose. 

Last month, I took Leigh Anne to the Farmer's Market, Stock Yards in Fort Worth and explored shopping and dining in a whole new neighborhood - Bishop Arts. 

This month, my roommate Sarah and I finally took on one of day trips we had been talking about since we moved in together.  Legendary CANTON, TEXAS!  

 Every month, on the very first weekend, Canton has a fabulous, larger-than-life antique and thrift extravaganza!  It has been featured in Country Living Magazine, showcased on television and people at work have mentioned to both of us that we need to go.  Sarah and I likened it to "the State Fair on steroids" because aside from furniture, antique jewelry, vintage clothing, TONS OF JUNK, and more there were also fried food trucks, rides for kids, and TONS of people to watch. ;)
(Papi, I almost got a funnel cake!)
We scoured and scoured through sheds of trash-turned-treasures and had a total blast trying on jewelry, imagining our "future mansions" where we would have room and money for all of our desires, and we probably walked longer than I have ever been on my feet.  Thankfully, the weather was cold but sunny - so we didn't have to brave any sweltering Texas heat OR wet February weather (like usual).  

And at the VERY last 20 or 30 minutes before the sun went down - we scored a few gems.  Sarah has quite a knack for a bargain (I am hoping this will rub off on me!) and was cracking me up telling me, "I can just feeeeeel it" as we weeded through tent after tent of chairs, tables, boxes of tools, pottery, etc. 


We are so excited to have two new chairs on our patio (just in time for SPRING in Dallas!) and a beautiful iron/wood piece of artwork to hang in our living room to add some height/warm color.  We had our eye on a few other pieces, and even found things we wanted to buy but the vendor had walked off to get a corndog - HA! 

The whole day was SO FUN!  I am really enjoying time with Sarah more and more and decorating our place together is SO fun.  Not only that, but what a cool adventure, and fun time we had perusing, shopping, giggling at WIERD items, and making our own little mini-vacation from the normal weekend.   AND we got so many things (little artwork pieces for Sarah's bedroom, I got a few birthday gifts for friends who are having upcoming parties) and together we spent less than $200 TOTAL!!!!

I couldn't help but think about my mama.  She is the BIGGEST fan of antiquing and furniture shopping.  I kept telling Sarah that my mom would have spent 8 weeks there and never seen it all or soaked it all up.   She has GOT to come and visit me so we can go.  No joke - I am already thinking about the next time we go back!
 



Our living room with the new artwork hanging up. :) 
Sweet Sarah and I carried our furniture ALL the way back to the car! 
We were so tired and delirious at this point - giggling the WHOLE way. :)
(R.I.P. beautiful wire wreath....) 

  
Best looking patio in Dallas! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I would LOVE to go to Canton! Next time you want to go, let me know and maybe I can leave Everett with Anthony for the weekend, or the day at least!

    ReplyDelete