The birthday fairy came to visit and spread 27's all over the house....
the weather hit a serendipitous chilly 27 degrees....
and we had a cozy winter breakfast with warm cinnamon coffee, the coveted jalapeno sausage, and the FAMOUS buttery biscuit recipe my Paw-Paw taught my mom how to make years ago.
The Cuban-kid in me was thrilled to enjoy croquetas and Rummikub with my family,
and I even won the last round.
{birthday miracle}
After a cozy afternoon with popcorn and soda at the movie theatre, we did Italian.
Have I mentioned how much this girl loves her pasta?
We had escargot, stuffed mushrooms, calamari, cesar salad, and of course - I ordered the shrimp pasta.
We talked about how my 26th year went and what I hope to see in the 27th one. I feel pretty proud of my self - new job, new city, new apartment, new car, and more. This was also my first birthday in 10 years that I have been single and I didn't even miss having a leading man by my side.
It's crazy to have all of my new, merry, and happy at the same time. Within less than 10 days I celebrate a birthday, Christmas and a new year every December. While it can feel overwhelming, it's pretty special to make your resolutions all at once. Each January I return to school (once grade school or college and now my job) with a vengeance. My sister Kathleen asked me last night what I hope to do in 2012 and I already had a laundry list of things I can't wait to jump start on.
{Thanks Kiks for reminding me to make sure that they aren't all boring or normal}
The day was complete with a holiday red velvet cupcake, and a champagne toast.
**********************************
I am so lucky to have a Christmas-Eve-Eve birthday. I remember as a child complaining about feeling jipped when getting ONE gift for both occasions, not being able to have my party on the actual date of my birth, and having to share my special day with La Noche Buena. But as I have grown older I have realized how I always benefit from being born this time of year.
While it's nice to have lights hanging everywhere and sometimes see snow on my big day, the best part of being born on 12.23 is seeing these three people.
I have never had a birthday alone, never suffered from the birthday blues and always celebrated with my family. Not a year has gone by in my 27 where I have had to spend this day figuring out what to do with myself, having to go to work - I have spent every one with my mom and dad, most of them with my sisters and brother, and my abuela has not missed a single occasion.
Last night was a special rite of passage in that KidNation was able to hit the town together after dinner for more celebrating. What a treat to see us all grow older and become our own selves. I had a moment or two where I felt a little bit teary eyed - I remember those Christmas seasons where we were so little and left so much of the joy up to Saint Nick and what filled our stockings. Now we create our own fun, we worry less and less each year about the gifts we unwrap and put more time and energy into spending multiple untouched days together (sometimes days where we do nothing but sit on the couch all tangled up talking).
The best gift I got yesterday was a drink with my sisters and bro, followed by a pajama/pallet session. The sacred-sibling-sleep is something I still hope to see when we are married (the more on the pallet the merrier!) and can't wait to teach my own children.
And the best keeps getting better. How can your life be that terrible when the two days after your birthday (when most people have to return to the real world) are Christmas Eve and Christmas? I smell the makings of a gumbo and need to wrap a present for my buddy!
Merry Christmas, Y'all!










No comments:
Post a Comment