Sunday, September 18, 2011

busy bees

I absolutely love my job and love the school I am working at. Where else do you get to call nature walks, scavenger hunts, silly skits, and planting a garden WORK? And I kid you not when I say the best keeps getting better. Since the first day of "newbie training" to this past Friday I have had a total blast.



duck, duck, goose with the blue and green group.  


This school is one where the faculty and staff love to work with each other just as much as the seven year olds in second grade love to zip line across the playground. Faculty "training days" and "community meetings" involve:
  • root beer floats and ice cream socials
  • field trips (yes, the teachers all got on a bus and went) to the new science museum
  • sing-alongs and swaying to oldies
  • slideshow presentations from members of the team who spent their summers participating in the most incredible "personal" (not professional) development - Can I spend a month in Fiji building homes with Habitat?
  • food, food, and more food. oh, and baked goods. and food.
YET, at the same time the children in my class are learning so much and having once-in-a-lifetime experiences:
  • picnic with a Caldecott award winner
  • incredible science experiments and hands-on time with robots, legos, and insects
  • writing and rewriting their own versions of classic fairy tales
  • performing student-generated skits about all kinds of school-related issues
  • rendering pieces of artwork inspired by famous illustrators and artists
  • learning research skills
  • problem-solving in real-world situations
  • taking care of the environment by recycling and composting
  • THE LIST GOES ON AND ON!
I have to share some pictures from this past week. We are having so much fun and getting so much done!





my classroom got a mini-makeover with some dragon-artwork that goes around the whole room! 




looking for facts (versus opinions) in our library 





what do we use a dictionary for? 





writer's workshop 





science journals 




parts of speech - I have this song stuck in my head:




and our "following the leader" moment on Friday.  Please ignore my singing voice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment