Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fried Fair-Food Fest


When this ticket landed in my box at school, I knew I had to fit in a trip to Fair Park in Dallas ASAP. 
Since my sister gets married in four days, I decided a quick-and-dirty weeknight visit was in order.  Luckily, my buddy Lauren has a love of all things fried (just like yours truly) and wanted to get her fix before Big Tex gets tucked away until 2013. 

Today, I got all of my schoolwork done, Lauren wasn't working her usual night-shift, and to put icing on the cake, Dallas had weather so beautiful you could can it and sell it to Texans in the summer on the sidewalk.  What a perfect mid-week break. 
Happy 60th birthday, big guy!

First stop?  Fletchers. 
You have to get one of these scrumptious babies ASAP upon entering the gates. 
Your stomach is not ready for anything else until this battered goodness hits your taste buds. 
I missed my dad SO much while I was enjoying this bad boy.
Unplanned added bonus?  Spilling ketchup and mustard all over my Marc Jacobs purse during my hurried Fletchers indulgence.  #fastfoodproblems
 
Lauren and I found the information booth and some woman asked us what high school we went to.  Great.  

Then we found out about many exciting exhibits, like the Chinese Lantern Festival on display.  We decided it was an overpriced (13 tickets!?!?) "Trail of Lights" wanna-be and decided to pose in front of the sign instead. :)
Woot.
Oktoberfest's tent provided me with a chilled, frothy brew from Germany. And this lovely cup.
After enjoying a delightfully lit parade of floats (man wearing a Corndog uniform that I want to borrow for Mardi Gras, Girl Scouts singing creepy songs, and a high school drumline), we decided we had about 90 minutes to make some magic happen.
I'll let the to-die-for food speak for itself: 
Fried Mac and Cheese Slider
Fried Jumbalaya (spicy rice and seafood goodness) and Fried Cookie Dough (imagine cookie cake with a crunchy crust and gooey insides!).  

Ok, so I'm not letting the food speak for itself.  

I can't stop describing the goodness! These were seriously the two best items in my opinion!
We said we wanted to "taste" all of the popular foods, but we did more than take small bites. :)
This fine fellow let us try Fried Cactus even though we were one ticket short. :)
And everybody knows I like to admire many items of the fair from AFAR.  Including, but not limited to:
rides, especially of the scary or height-indulgent variety.
clowns.  men on stilts.  face painting.  bright lights.  fun houses.   
really, all things creepy....

AND OF COURSE, in honor of Papi and Kif,
the car show.  I sat in the driver's seat, I played with all of the buttons, I popped the trunk.
I did my car-loving Casanova men proud. 

What a fun time!
Straight from work, and now I'm showered and in bed by 10. 
Not bad, Dallas. 

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment