Tuesday, October 18, 2011

little man

A little over three years ago, I took a job that changed my life.


If you had told me when I was at UVa that after I graduated I would have been a nanny, I would have laughed in your face.  Me?  Nanny?  Like "spoonful of sugar" and carpet-bag-carrying, broomskirt wearing old woman?  No way, Jose.


I WILL say that one time we wrote on the sidewalk in chalk and I was definitely channeling that part of the movie:


But I took a chance on a family, a chance on a year off after graduate school before taking on an entire classroom of kiddos and spent 12 months with only two children instead.  The two children that taught me the most.  M and T.



I am in shock that time flies so quickly, and sometimes I am in shock that I survived it.  It was the most fun I have ever had and one of the most taxing jobs I will ever experience.

 Did I mention he likes costumes? 


Early mornings were so brutal, but there's nothing like dropping a kiddo off for school and picking them up after missing them all day.




Homework was tedious, but seeing the "other side" of an elementary aged child's day was priceless.






The play dates and grocery lists got old, but the late night cuddling and wii tournament sleepovers still make me smile.


I honestly feel like I raised them.



And more than anything, I'm shocked that he's EIGHT years old TODAY. 


Seems like just yesterday he was sucking his thumb, crying on the swing set and still learning how to use silverware.  Tying his shoes, letters of the alphabet, and memorizing his address.

I taught him how to read, you know.  One day, it just happened.


And his big sister needs a whole post of her own come March.  Because, sister, you are something else, Miss M!

Sending my love to my very sweet babies in Georgia tonight.



XOXO,
Nanny

P.S. tonight when I asked the birthday boy if he has been behaving at school lately he said, "kinda."  I miss my favorite "time out" friend today.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment